Low Speed Lock-up Torque Converter
(Multi-plate clutch structure with flexible dampers
We aim to develop torque convertors that can balance fuel efficiency and throttle response on an entirely different level.
- Feature 1: Improved fuel efficiency achieved by an increase in the lock-up range of the torque converter
- This design provides optimizations in both the springs and clutch friction materials found within the torque converter. On top of this, our Low Speed Lock-up Torque Converter is structured to boost clutch performance and has a large-scale increase of over 80% for the torque converter’s lock-up range (using JC08 testing standards). All of this contributes to fuel economy yields of up to 7%. Moreover, by making the clutch easier to operate, we are able to offer drivers a more responsive clutch that provides them with a pleasant driving experience.
- Feature 2: Compact design that saves space
- So that we could increase both engine torque and idle speed, we pushed the compact design of our torque converters’ tori to its limit. By optimizing where the clutch and dampers are located, we were able to achieve a 10% reduction in axial length.
- Feature 3: Low cost
- By implementing automated manufacturing processes as well as other cost-effective technologies, we have been able to both decrease cost and improve efficiency. This makes it possible for everyday passenger vehicles to be equipped with torque converters that have a built-in multi-plate clutch, something which used to be found only in luxury vehicles.
2 Mass Flywheel
We developed our 2 mass flywheel with the following two aims in mind:
1. To structure our flywheels so that they can withstand high torque outputs generated by either resonance at low RPMs or how the clutch is operated, as well as handle diesel engines that produce high amounts of torque by absorbing vibrations from the engine when transmitting power to the transmission.
2. The adoption of new manufacturing processes and methods to provide products of consistent quality at a competitive price.
- Feature 1: Improved Damping Performance
- In order to greatly reduce engine vibrations, the springs within the flywheel are arranged according to their torsional characteristics, which helps to improve their damping performance.
- Feature 2: Improved Clutch Disengagement
- By using bearings with larger diameters, we were able to reduce shuddering caused by the flywheel and make the clutch easier to operate when being disengaged.
- Feature 3: Stopper Structure with a Spring Sheet
- Through the inclusion of spring sheets made using high-strength resin, we were able to structure our flywheels so that they can endure large outputs during times of resonance and prevent their torsion springs from being excessively compressed. An additional benefit of adopting this resin sheet is that we were able to reduce the noise generated by the vehicle so that drivers can enjoy a quieter driving experience.
- We used the following two production technologies:
1.Parts previously manufactured using large dies are now being made using a transfer press, which has enabled us to both lower cost and improve efficiency.
- 2. We have implemented a laser-based welding process that reduces the impact that heat has on our products, allowing us to produce flywheels with far more consistent levels of quality.
Diaphragm Spring (DSP) Type Multi-plate Clutch for use in motorcycles with manual transmission
We developed this clutch with the objective of improving performance and reducing cost. Through our switch from coil springs, which are commonly used in clutches for motorcycles and scooters, to a diaphragm spring, also known as a DSP, we were able to reduce cost and improve the responsiveness of the clutch.
- Feature 1: The world’s first multi-plate DSP clutch for motorcycles and scooters
- We at EXEDY, who are experienced when it comes to diaphragm springs, are the first in the world to use DSPs in clutches for motorcycles and scooters, and we have devised a unique structure that no other has come up with so far. The DSP differs from a conventional coil spring in that it provides a smoother driving experience and allows the clutch to respond more naturally to the driver’s shifting.
- Feature 2: Implements a structure that reduces cost during the intial stages of development
- By replacing coil springs with diaphragm springs, we were able to reduce the number of friction discs from a total of 5 discs to 2 discs. In addition, we were able to effectively use the metal punched out of the center of the discs as material for our other parts, which in turn helped us reduce manufacturing costs by avoiding needless wastes in materials.
- Feature 3: Consistent quality through our automated DSP manufacturing process
- We have successfully automated our manufacturing process by adopting press quenching, the use of a press to hold an object while it is being rapidly cooled. We regard this as essential in manufacturing our DSP Type Multi-plate Clutches. Through press quenching, we have been able to ensure the consistent quality of this product, as well as improve productivity and lower manufacturing cost.
Hyper Single VF
The racing world demands clutches that balance the transmission of large amounts of torque with a high degree of responsiveness to the driver’s operation of the vehicle. To achieve this end, we developed our Hyper Single VF, which, thanks to its Ultra Fiber organic facing, has incredible start-up performance, and, thanks to its metallic facing, adds amazing heat-resistant properties to the clutch.
- Feature 1: Same level of performance as our OE clutch when partially engaged
- When starting up, the Ultra Fiber, a material known for its ease of handling, covers the half-clutch area. By optimally tuning the rigidity of cushioning plate, this clutch provides half-clutch performance comparable to genuine products. The VF’s ease of handling is one a completely different level when compared to conventional racing clutches.
- Feature 2: High Heat Resistance
- When the clutch is pressed up against the flywheel, the metal facing takes effect, displaying a high and stable coefficient of friction no matter the temperature. It retains these heat-resistant characteristics under even the most severe of conditions.
- Feature 3: Low Pedal Effort
- Through the counterforce exerted by the cushioning plate, we were able to achieve a 12% decrease in pedal effort when compared to our Hyper Single Metallic Disc. When you take into account how this also extends to include the clutch when it is partially engaged, what you have is a decrease in pedal effort that allows us to provide drivers with a 1st class driving experience.
If you are interested in learning more about our Hyper Single VF and other racing clutches, then make sure you visit our official racing site at:
Torque Limiter Damper
- Suppresses booming noise when driving in parallel mode
- A low-rigidity damper is used to attenuate engine rotation fluctuations with high efficiency. This suppresses the booming noise when driving in parallel mode (running power from both engine and motor).
- Reduces vibration when the engine is started and stopped
- We are able to create the optimal design by matching the springs and friction material to the vehicle.
This reduces vibration from torque fluctuations generated when the engine is started and stopped.
- Protects the system from excessive torque
- Using a torque limiter mechanism protects the transmission and generator, even when excessive torque is generated.